Were you a good student?.
I have been fighting with perfectionism and anxiety from my early years at school. Yes, I was always a good student. Although my parents never forced me to be one, I had a thing for excellence. Of course perfectionism goes hand in hand with anxiety and this can be a huge obstacle to your everyday life.
As I am not a therapist, I won’ t go into details about these feelings. Though if you suffer from these, I do encourage you to see one. I did, when I was 24, and it was one of the best things I have done for myself. I want to share with you few things I do, almost everyday, and help me be productive.
If you are an artist or a solopreneur, you have a tone of things you need to handle everyday. Making art, blogging, working on your site, organizing sales,shipping, not to mention accounting, it just so very easy to feel overwhelmed. So how do you overpass perfectionism and anxiety?
Few tips ~ what I do
- I write down everything I need to do. Sometimes I have planed the whole week. If I don’t find the time on Sunday to plan the whole week, at least I prepare every night my to do list for the next day. I also have specific days for specific things. For instance accounting is every other Wednesday.
- I run or go for a thirty minute walk every morning and then I meditate. Even 5 minutes of meditation make much difference and calm my anxiety.
- I try to paint or make jewelry everyday, even if I am not in the mood. Having created something always makes feel good at the end of the day.
- I listen to podcasts. Let s face it if you are a solopreneur, you can feel very lonely. By listening to other artists you get inspired and so you have that feeling that you are not alone.
- I meet my friends and talk to them. This makes me feel so much better as sharing our emotions can be liberating.
- I trust the process. Stop painting or creating for others. Do it for you. Be authentic. Be kind to any mistakes, you may discover a new technique with an open mind.
- Practicing is everything. Work consistently. Do everyday baby steps.
- Avoid the trap of trying to make things perfect. Instead have a more loose approach and see what the result is.
- Keep balance in your life and love yourself.
Always remember you are unlimited.
Have more ways to fight anxiety?.. share them in the comments below.
With Aristic Joy,